About the Space Centre
Download ‘The Space Centre Philosophy’ leaflet
Download ‘What Happens on your Visit’ leaflet
We have put together a series of films that give you a brief user guide to our multi-sensory rooms. Space 1, Space 2, Space 3.
Space 3 has been designed as a smaller more intimate sensory space for those with limited mobility who do not require the soft padded floor and large movement equipment. It is also suitable for those who cannot mix with others and also for assessment of sensory abilities.
The room has a lovely water bed, a large rocker chair, vibrating armchair, bubble wall, fabulous projection via an ipad or DVD, UV lighting, fibre optics and sensory resource boxes. Visitors may bring their own ipods or DVDs to play favourite music and films.
The SPACE Centre offers a totally flexible environment for families, carers, therapists and teachers which:
- Allows freedom for clients to move in safety.
- Builds confidence and motivation increasing learning potential.
- Provides a world of sensory stimulation and enables assessment of sensory abilities by presenting one stimuli at one time and excluding unnecessary distractions.
- Encourages relaxation in a calm and controlled atmosphere.
- Gives the opportunity for those who are wheelchair bound to be out of their chairs and experience different positions.
- Enables life skills to be developed through structured and educational programs using switch work to give control to the client.
- Encourages communication skills and choice making.
Hundreds of groups and individuals visit each month, including special schools, respite care homes, family bookings, play-schemes, parent support groups, after school clubs and also day centres and community homes who cater for young people and adults with physical and learning disabilities.
SPACE can cater for people with a wide range of disabilities including Cerebral Palsy, Profound Multiple Disabilities, Autism and brain injuries. Groups come from all over the north west and sometimes even further afield, which demonstrates the need for such a facility and illustrates the fact that there are no other centres like SPACE.
There are now 3 sensory rooms, Space 1, the original room which is a large room on 2 levels connected by slide and stairs, Space 2, our newest room which is slightly bigger than Space 1, but similar in design and Space 3, a smaller room suitable for 1-3 persons. There are also beautiful gardens, a cafe area where groups can bring their own food with snacks and drinks on sale and 2 Changing Place rooms so all needs can be catered for. Please click on the Facilities tab for more information about all these facilities.